News and upcoming events
Upcoming Conferences and lectures:
Geological Society of America (GSA) 2015.
Baltimore- MA, USA, 1-4 November, 2015
American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Annual Convention and Exhibition 2016. Calgary- Alberta, Canada, June 19-22, 2016.
Awards - Achievements:
Received Silver Standard Resources Research Grants, May 2015
Ethan Melville (MS Candidate) received GSA research grant and AAPG Grants-in-aid 2015, May 2015
Anthony Gesualdo (MS Candidate) is awarded with SEG student research grant from Newmont Mining Corporation Fund. He also received Greis Fellowship, the Ivanhoe Excellence award, and the French Fellowship through SDSMT.
Field studies and workshops:
- (May-June, 2015) Sampling Tertiary intrusions of Northern Black Hills area for future research
- (June, 2014) Teaching field geology during 5-week field camp: Geological mapping exercises along the North Anatolian Fault zone near Taskesti (Bolu Province), Sivrihisar (Eskisehir province), Nallihan-Beypazari (Ankara province), Dokurcun (Sakarya Province), sampling post-collisional intrusions near Sivrihisar area for future research
- (April, 2014) Observation and documentation of contractional deformational structures in Minnekahta limestone, South Dakota (USA)
- (June, 2013) Teaching field geology during 5-week field camp: Geological mapping exercises along the North Anatolian Fault zone in Bolu, Sivrihisar, Ankara, Sakarya Provinces.
- (October, 2012) Exxon Mobile Short Course: Structural and Stratigraphic Concepts Applied to Basin Exploration, GSA Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC (2012)
- (November, 2012)
- (October 6, 2010) Mid-Congress Field Trip (GSA Tectonic crossroads, Ankara-Turkey): Gerede section of the North Anatolian fault zone
- (March 30-April 3, 2009) Tectonics & geomorphology of the Owen Valley, Eastern California shear zone
- (June 2008 to August 2008) Systematic sampling of footwall rocks along the Alasehir detachment fault, Alasehir Basin (Western Turkey)
- (November, 2008) Compressional and extensional structures in the southern Appalachian between Tennessee and North Carolina
- (March, 2007) Extensional Tectonics of Basin and Range Province, Arizona (USA)
- (June 2006 to August 2007) Systematic sampling of the syn-extensional Salihli granitoid and investigation of the relation between syn-extensional intrusions and the metamorphic core complex formation in Alasehir Basin (Western Turkey)
- (November, 2006 & November, 2007) Kinematics of compressional and extensional deformation on the Rough Creek Fault System, Western Kentucky (USA)
- (October, 2005) Investigation of the main lithostratigraphic units and structures in the Silurian of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania (USA)
- (June 2005 to August 2005) Investigation of main geological features in the Southern margin of Alasehir Basin (Western Turkey)
- (June 2003 to September 2003) Kinematics of the Extensional Tectonics and Magmatism at the Southern margin of Alasehir Basin (Western Turkey)
- (June 2002 to August 2005) Investigation of the main geological features of Izmir-Ankara-Erzincan Suture Zone (Central Turkey)
- (April, 2003) Investigation of geological features related to North Anatolian Fault, NW Turkey
SDSM&T Department of Geology and Geological Engineering visit our page
American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Official website AAPG website
Geological Society of America (GSA) Official website GSA website